South African Spousal Visa

South African Spousal Visa Being married to a South African citizen or permanent resident that lives in the country means you would most likely want to live with them. It’s to be expected and with a South African spousal visa in your pocket it is possible.

The first step to obtaining a spousal visa is to see if you qualify. You can complete our free online assessment to see if you do. If you’d like to speak to someone, you can call us instead. Our Cape Town office can be reached at +27 (0) 21 424 2460 and our Johannesburg office at +27 (0)11 234 4275.

To get a better understanding of spousal visas in the meantime, have a look at the information below.

What is a South African spousal visa?

A South African spousal visa is a means for foreign spouses to stay with their South African partners on the basis of their relationship. It has been designed to offer a solution for a long-term stay in South Africa. Foreign immigrants who want to visit their spouse for a short period of time, i.e. no longer 90 days or roughly 3 months, would only need to apply for a tourist or visitor’s visa.

Who can apply for a spousal visa?

The husband or wife of a South African citizen or permanent resident can apply for a South African spousal visa. Life partners would apply for a life partner visa. You can learn more about this option on the life partner visa page.

Do same-sex partnerships qualify?

South Africa has progressive human rights and does not discriminate against same-sex partnerships. Partners in same-sex marriages can indeed apply for a South African spousal visa.

What about our children?

The criteria, regulations and processes around children are intricate. It can get confusing very quickly, so instead of working through all the information yourself rather speak to one of our experienced consultants.

Can I work or study on a spousal visa?

While a foreign spouse with permanent residency is free to work, study or start a business in South Africa, a spouse with a temporary South African spousal visa must obtain an endorsement before taking up any of those activities.

How long is a spousal visa valid for?

A temporary spousal visas is normally valid for 2 to 3 years after which it can be renewed. The success of the renewal would be dependent on the applicant meeting the criteria for the visa again.

Where a spousal relationship has been 5 years or longer, a permanent application can be made. Due to the lengthy processing times for permanent residency, it is advised to apply for a temporary and permanent visa at the same time.

What are the requirements for a spousal visa?

The main criteria for a spousal visa is the legitimacy of the relationship held by the applicant. To prove the relationship, foreign immigrants and their partners must be able to prove that a genuine marriage exists.

How do I apply for a South African spousal visa?

Foreign immigrants must submit proof of their relationship as well as all other necessary documentation, as determined by the South African Department of Home Affairs.

Take the hassle out of your application by letting us handle it for you. Intergate Immigration has helped thousands of individuals, families and companies with their visa and visa related applications since our inception in 2005. In fact, we’ve processed in excess of 9 000 applications.

All our consultants have been tested and registered with the Department of Home Affairs and their standard of service has earned Intergate Immigration ISO 9001 certification. This makes us the only immigration company that does immigration to South Africa with this accolade.

To speak to someone in our Cape Town office, please call +27 (0) 21 424 2460. Alternatively, call our Johannesburg office on +27 (0)11 234 4275. If you’d like us to call you, all you have to do is complete our assessment form or request a call back. As soon as we’ve received your details, one of our consultants will undertake to contact you within 24 hours.


First Name *

Surname *

Email Address *

Telephone Number

Language *

Country Of Residence *

What Visa would you apply for? *

Where in SA would you move to? *

Comments *