- Quota work visa.
- Exceptional visa.
- Intra-company transfer.
- Or whose prospective employer does not have a corporate work visa.
Criteria for a South African general work visa
The most important criteria for a general work visa is that the foreign immigrant has a valid job offer. It is also necessary for the prospective employer to show that they have been through the required steps before offering the job to the foreign applicant. To meet these criteria, the following must be done:
- The employer must prove in the application that they have taken all reasonable steps to try and attract a South African citizen or permanent resident before offering the job to a foreigner.
- The application must include an original advertisement of the vacant position as offered in the national printed media.
- The position must comply with the particular requirements stipulated in the Immigration Act.
- The application must include confirmation that the foreign employee possesses the necessary level of qualifications, as certified by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
In addition to this, the contract of employment must stipulate the following and be signed by both parties:
- Leave entitlement.
- Working hours.
- Termination period.
The Department of Labour review these sections of the employment contract to ensure that the applicant is fairly employed in terms of the basic Conditions of Employment Act.
Do you have any questions?
If anything about the requirements for a general work visa is unclear, call our Cape Town office on +27 (0) 21 424 2460 or our Johannesburg office on +27 (0)11 234 4275. Our consultants are in the perfect position to help. They have processed more than 9 000 visa and visa related applications.
Further to that, Intergate Immigration is the only South African immigration company that can boast ISO 9001 certification. This accolade is recognised internationally and guarantees that customers receive superior customer service.
If you’d like us to contact you instead, simply complete our free online assessment or request a call back. If you are eligible for a general work visa, Intergate Immigration can help you start the process of immigrating to South Africa.
For other information on general work visas, have a look at the main general work visa page.